Collagen is a bit of a buzz word at the moment but is it really all it’s cracked up to be? Let’s have a look.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is often referred to as a complex protein, as it contains a staggering 19 different amino acids. The highest percentages of amino acids found within collagen, along with some of their key benefits, include:
- Proline: which makes up almost 15 percent of collagen. Proline and glycine, in particular, play a major role in ensuring your body’s running smoothly. Proline helps protect integrity of blood vessels, improve joint health and has various cardiovascular benefits.
- Glycine: Around one-third of the protein found in collagen is glycine. While size-wise it’s the smallest amino acid, glycine has big effects. To ensure our cells function properly, glycine helps build healthy DNA strands. It’s also one of three amino acids that form creatine, which promotes healthy muscle growth and boosts energy production during workouts.
- Glutamine: Considered to be one of the most important and abundant amino acids in the body, glutamine is both created within our muscles and also obtained from food sources. Research shows that glutamine has benefits for preventing anxiety, tension, sleep disorders/insomnia, a lack of concentration, poor digestive health, a weakened immune system and low energy.
- Arginine: Arginine breaks down into nitric oxide within the body, which is an important compound for arterial and heart health.
Learn More Here!
How does Collagen Benefit the Body?
Collagen powder is approximately 90% protein and therefore provides the body with the important amino acids in high quantities. It’s the major component of connective tissue as well as your hair, skin, and nails. In fact, collagen is the single most prevalent protein in the animal kingdom. It makes up approximately 33% of the total protein in your body. It accounts for roughly 75% of the dry weight of your skin – and, it’s the most abundant substance found in your extracellular matrix (the space between your cells). Needless to say, collagen is an essential protein that plays a vital role in your health as well as your appearance.
Opt for High-Quality Collagen Products from the Harvest Table
The Harvest Table Collagen Powder is sourced from cattle and contains Collagen type I and III Collagen which is the major component in skin, hair and nails, muscles and tendons, bones, gums, teeth, eyes and blood vessels. We stock Collagen from both Brazil and Argentina. Our Brazilian Collagen is a finer powder with a slightly savoury flavour. It is best used in a shake or smoothie, in soups or stews.
Our Argentinian Collagen is a coarser powder with a neutral flavour. It can be used in coffee or tea, shakes or smoothies, yoghurt or cereal or in your cooking. We recommend that you take at least two tablespoons a day of this superfood to see the best results. Both of our Collagen powders have been producing amazing results!
Some of the benefits that you expect to see when consuming a good quality Collagen Powder are:
- repairs joints
- reduces inflammation
- improves skin and hair
- strengthens teeth and nails
- helps leaky gut
- helps detoxification
- reduces cellulite and stretch marks
The best collagen supplements are grass fed. Grass fed animals produce higher quality meat which subsequently provides much more nutrient dense collagen. Grain fed animals have a much higher amount of inflammatory producing omega-6 fats.
Harvest Table Brings You Only The Best Collagen
At The Harvest Table we strive to provide you with only the best, 100% pure supplements in food form. We don’t add any flavours, fillers, preservatives or additives to our products and so they contain only the goodness that nature intended. Our products flavour and consistency might also then vary marginally from batch to batch. We package our products in glass or wood cellulose Ziploc bags, in an effort to reduce the plastic waste that we produce.
You can find the full list of available products on our website, contact us to learn more!